Ecuador Visa

Ecuador Visa is not a requirement anymore for tourists of most countries. All you need is a valid passport for more than 6 months.


Now citizens from most countries in the world can enter Ecuador for a stay of up to 90 days.

For most foreigners, they could enter Ecuador with a 12-x visa, which is the default tourist visa, lasting for a period of 90 days.

Other visas that are allowed by the Ecuador government are the study visa (12-V), work visa (12-VI), volunteer and religious visa (12-VII), cultural exchange visa (12-VIII), and long stay business or tourism (12-IX).

Each of these Ecuador Visas do follow strict government and embassy procedure and process. All registered visa holders should be registered at the Direccion General de Extranjeria in Quito or Guayaquil upon arrival in the country.

The non-resident, Ecuador tourist visa is given to short-term tourists who wish to enter and stay in Ecuador for a period less than 90 days.

All you need to show is your passport upon arrival in Ecuador as long as this passport has a due date of at least 6 months more and has enough money to support the stay.

The Requirements for Obtaining this Visa are as Follow:

  • Completed application form.
  • Valid passport for more than 6 months.
  • Return ticket (for air, land or sea travel).
  • Proof of economic means to support yourself during your stay in Ecuador (may be requested by Immigration authorities upon arrival).

There is special consideration for citizens of the United States, Canada and the Andean community wherein they could reapply for a longer stay in Ecuador without leaving the country.

A tourist Ecuador visa will not qualify the holder to work in the country. Moreover, a tourist visa holder cannot subsequently apply for another form of Ecuadorian visa while holding a tourist visa (in-country application for another type of visa is not applicable anymore).

To procure any other kind of visa, you must return to your country of origin or go to the consulate closest to you and apply for a non-tourist visa there.

If you want to work in Ecuador, or simply guarantee a stay of over 90 days, there are a range of visas available, including study (12-V), work (12-VI), volunteer and religious (12-VII), cultural exchange (12-VIII) and long-stay business or tourism (12-IX).

Generally, you can just arrive in Ecuador with your passport (valid for at least 6 months) and a return ticket and you will have no problems entering Ecuador as a tourist.

If you have any doubts you can check with your Ecuadorian Consulate regarding applying for a 12-X visa.

Ecuador Visa for Stays of More Than 90 Days

If you're planning to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days you'll need to apply for the corresponding Ecuador visa at the Ecuadorian consulate or embassy in your home country.

You can renew any visa other than the 12-X or 12-IV (tourist or transient visas) from within Ecuador.

Nationals of countries other than the US applying for the following types of visa in the United States must also present a valid US visa/green card.

Each embassy and consulate has their own list of requirements for each Ecuador visa, so be sure to consult the one nearest you for the correct information you need.

Resident/Immigrant Ecuador Visa

You may apply to settle in Ecuador and obtain resident status. Resident visas are approved by the Foreign Director in Quito, Ecuador.

The documentation process takes at least 4 to 8 weeks.

There are a number of different resident visa categories, as follows:

10­I Retired persons who receive pensions from their native countries (required minimum monthly income from a foreign account USD 800 for the main visa holder, plus USD 100 monthly for each family dependent).

10­II Real estate and securities investors who are willing to invest in Ecuador a minimum of USD 25,000, plus USD 500 for each family dependent.

10­III Investors in industry who wish to export agricultural products, livestock, or minerals, (minimum investment of USD 30,000).

10­IV Companies with foreign local agents who possess unlimited power of attorney to represent the company in Ecuador, provided that 80% of the company's local personnel are Ecuadorian.

10­IV Technicians or technical experts under contract with a company established in Ecuador.

10­V Professionals with university degrees recognized by a national university, who wish to practice their profession in Ecuador.

Should the applicant's profession not exist in Ecuador, the degree must be locally certified. The applicant must also fulfill the requirements for such practice.

10­VI Individuals economically dependent on spouses or on a blood­ related family members.

Vilcabamba Valley is the Best Location to Live or Retire in Ecuador. Click Here to See Beautiful Homes for Sale

Countries that Need Ecuador Visa (Including Tourists)

Citizens from the following countries need to apply for a visa even as tourists before arriving to Ecuador: Popular Republic of China, Afganistan, Bangladesh, Eritrea, Etiopia, Kenia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan and Somalia.

Ecuador visa requirements and application process and qualifications do constantly change.

You should check with your own embassy before leaving your home country about visa requirements and what services they can provide you.

See More About Ecuador

Ecuador Facts

Tena City in the Jungle

Quito Ecuador Capital City

Ecuador National Parks

Economic Galapagos Tours

If you have questions about Ecuador Visa, You can post them on our Ecuador FAQ Page and if you'd like to request more information about our exciting Amazon Jungle Tours or from our recommended Galapagos Tours to visit these Islands, You can Contact Us Here

Back from Ecuador Visa to Galapagos Islands Homepage

Go To Ecuador Main Informative Page